Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Crew Spotlight: Anna Fleury


Anna working on her short film, Love Succintly
Anna Fleury is a graduate student at Wayne State University who loves traveling to third world countries, ballet, yoga, educational politics, Malbec wines from Argentina, and she is also the director of Beauty Queen. 

Anna was a part of last years MCFA project, Appleville, where she served as 2nd AD, script supervisor, and continuity.  She also directed a short film called Love Succinctly, which received first place and best in show at the Moving Media Film Festival CFA in 2010.  




1.    How did you get involved with the
     Michigan Creative Film Alliance?
     A former professor, Marc Ruiz, recommended me.

2.    What is your role with Beauty Queen
      I was the director, which included huge amounts of
      pre-production planning and visualizing, 
      auditioning actors, rehearsing actors and camera
      angles, finding locations, some light PR work, on
      set coaching actors, and a little of everything on set.

3.    Do you think that working on Beauty Queen has helped you learn more about your craft?
      Absolutely, working on Beauty Queen has taught me a lot.  I made a list every night after shooting and it’s over six pages long.   Ultimately, figuring out the relationship between all of the above-the-line positions is crucial. 

4.    What is the most valuable thing you’re taking away from being a part of Beauty Queen?
      I learned that in terms of becoming a professional in
      this industry I want to do two things, write and
      direct what I write, but mostly write.  So I “found
      myself” from this project.

5.    What is your favorite memory from this project?
      The actors - they were wonderful.  I was blessed with many humorous and tender moments with
      them and I thank them greatly.  I also spent a day grabbing the boobs of drag queen Myles
      Mershman – that is a day that will live in my memory forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment